[Q&A] Getting a Korean Criminal Investigation Records Check Reply While Staying Abroad

Q) I want to know how to get a Korean Criminal Investigation Records Check Reply. For my immigration application purpose, I need to submit this to the Canadian authority (CIC Canada). They said this document must include the “lapsed records”, i.e. all the criminal records database search. I contacted the Korean embassy in Toronto and they only issue normal Police Records which is not accepted by the CIC. They told me I had to get it from the local police station in South Korea.  However, it is not feasible for me to visit Korea just in order to get this document. I’m wondering whether your law firm deals with this type of case. If so, I would like to know the details of the process.

A) We’ve been dealing with this kind of case quite often.  The Canadian immigration office is requesting a Police Certificate. The official title of this document in Korea is a Korean Criminal Investigation Records Check Reply(범죄수사경력회보서). There are many people wondering how to get this Korean criminal background check and it also seems that there is conflicting information about this.

One thing you should be aware of is that there is another type of criminal background check in Korea, which is called a Background Check (Criminal Records) Certificate(신원조사범죄경력조회서). Unlike the Korean Criminal Investigation Records Check Reply, this document can be easily obtained at the Korean Consulate. The problem, however, is that it does not include lapsed records.

That said, you will need to get a Korean Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply and this certificate is issued only at the local Korean police station.

We have successfully obtained this document on behalf of our foreign clients who want to verify their Korean criminal records including any lapsed sentences.

For the processing, we need your passport copy and a power of attorney. We will provide the power of attorney forms.  You don’t need to make the power of attorney notarized by the Korean Consulate. It will take a few days or a week for you to receive this document.

Please note that, as written on the certificate, the lapsed records are issued and provided for personal verification only, not for an immigration purpose, under Korean law.

If you have any questions regarding this article, please contact us.  Our English speaking Korean qualified lawyer will answer your inquiry.

© 2018 All rights reserved.

Posted in


  1. Obtained Korean PCC and legal advice document in no time. I was a temporary resident of Korea in 2016, and couldn’t find any link to obtain a Korean police clearance document. Mr. Chung has been very transparent about the process and got us our documents in less than 5 days. I highly recommend Mr. Chung and the team.

  2. Thank you for your professional advice and help to obtain the Korean police certificate with lapsed records. Really appreciate the interaction in English and your quick response to queries. Will definitely recommend your firm.

  3. Thank you very much for your help to get Korean police certificate with lapse records. I highly appreciate your quick response and professional service. It was a great pleasure to work with you. I definitely recommend your firm to others.
    Best Wishes

  4. Thanks a lot for helping me obtain the police certificate with lapse records. The instructions were easy to follow and hassle-free. As a foreigner in Korea, i was having a difficult time to get this document on my own. I’d love to visit again in future.

Leave Your Comment