Ask Korea Law

Published by Chung & Partners

Introduction to the Korean Inheritance Law


When a person is deceased in Korea, the inheritance comes to fruition immediately.  The Korean inheritance law provides who shall become the inheritor and beneficiary of the property of a deceased person, i.e. estate.  This, however, does not always mean the inheritor shall be given all the property of the decedent.  There are separate rules and restrictions of the distribution of the estate in Korea.

The basic rule of the Korean inheritance law is that the property of a deceased person is distributed according to his or her will.  So, a person who is not categorised as a person who can be an inheritor by law can be a beneficiary of the property by the decedent’s will.  What if there is no valid will?  The Korean inheritance law sets forth the rule of intestate succession.  This rule of intestate succession names the beneficiary and the shares of each beneficiary for a distribution.  The intestate succession rule provides that persons become beneficiaries in the following order:

  1. Direct descendants (children or grandchildren)
  2. Direct ascendants (parents or grandparents)
  3. Siblings
  4. Relative within the 4th degree of collateral consanguinity

If there are multiple persons standing in the same rank, the closest in degree of relationship shall have the priority.  And if there are multiple persons in the same rank and same degree of relationship, they become co-inheritors and co-beneficiaries.  The shares of the co-beneficiaries are all equal.

The spouse has a unique position here.  If there are no relatives in the first and second rank, the spouse shall become the sole inheritor.  If there is any inheritor(s) in the first or second rank, the spouse shall become the co-inheritor with that inheritor(s).  As to the intestate succession share, the Korean law provides more protection to the spouse.  According to the Korean intestate succession rule, the spouse shall have 50% more share than those of other co-inheritors.  For example, if a deceased person leaves a spouse, 2 children and his parents, the 2 children and the spouse shall become the co-inheritor with each child having 2/7 of the estate and the surviving spouse having 3/7 of the estate.

As mentioned earlier, this rule of intestate succession only applies when there is no valid will of decedent.  Does this mean the decedent can dispose the estate freely by his own will?  The answer is not always.  The Korean inheritance law recognizes a reserved share, i.e. statutory minimum share of the succession which is obliged to go to an inheritor.  This means any inheritor is able to claim an inheritance despite what the decedent have written into the will .  By this statutory reserved share, the decedent’s freedom to making a will is restricted.  Currently, the reserved share under Korean inheritance law is 50% of the share of an estate which an inheritor would have received in the case of intestate succession.  So, in the above example, even if the deceased person made a will which names his friend as the sole beneficiary, each child is still entitled to 1/7 of the estate, and the spouse is entitled to 3/14 of the estate.

Most of inheritance disputes in Korea center on executing or contesting the will and enforcing the reserved share.  We have seen many cases where Korean-based family of the deceased person requests the non-Korean family to sign a certain legal document to handle the succession process in Korea, not fully disclosing the situation of the estate and even providing false information about the law and practice.  This could harm the transparency of the whole process of distribution and cause a financial loss to the foreign party who is lack of sufficient and reliable information on the Korean inheritance law.  Inheritance law is a complicated area of law in Korea.  Thus, It is a good idea to seek legal advice from a Korean licensed attorney before you take any legal action.

If you have any question about this article, please visit our Legal Consultation center or send your inquiry email by clicking here.  Our Korean licensed lawyer will answer your inquiry.

© 2015 Wonil Chung, Korean Licensed Lawyer.  All rights reserved.

Author: Korean Lawyer

Korean Licensed Lawyer 韓国の弁護士

5 thoughts on “Introduction to the Korean Inheritance Law

  1. This has happened a long time ago and came into surface recently. MY grandmother had some assets under her name and had no will when she passed away. so then my grandma’s sister forced my grandfather when he was drunk to sign a contract (which he wasn’t really sure about) that says that he will give up his share of the inheritance. However, my grandma has four kids, including my mum and they weren’t aware of any of this. They did not sign anything and this was already more than 15 years ago. MY grandfather passed away about 10 years ago and my mum and my aunts did not receive anything. is it possible for my grandaunt to take all that away with just my grandfather’s signature? is there nothing my mum and my aunts have a say? can we open a case for this now?

    • Thanks for contacting our office. We had replied to your inquiry by an email. Please let us know if you have further questions.

  2. this is an interesting article.

    if husband has debt with bank does his estate pay back debts on bank loans before guarantor of the loan??? or does debt move direct to guarantor?

    • The inheritance law does not provide nor change the priority. It is all down to the matter whether the guarantor agreement and related clauses in Civil Code recognize such priority.

  3. My father and mother married while they lived in Korea years ago. As they moved to Brazil, they recognized their marriage in Brazil as well. foe=r some 30 years, my father has been living in Southe Korea, while my mother and my 2 sisters continued living in Brazil. 3 months ago, my mother deceased, leaving no will. I traveled to Korea some 3 years ago, and discovered my father had many estates worth some good money, I wanted to know, if I have any rights over the properties that were from my father and mother (since they never divorced). My mother´s death has beed directed to the korean consulate in Brazil 1 and a half months ago. I´d like to say that I, and all my sisters are in the family tree docs in Korea. Thanks in advance.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s